Monday, July 23, 2012

What is THE Most Important Thing YOU *ever* learned?

For me, it happened in 7th Grade Social Studies class taught by Mr. Pfeiffer at Wilbur Wright Middle School on Burleigh at 84th Street in Milwaukee, WI.
~ ~ ~

I'm all growed up and have kids now.   Though I didn't realize exactly, precisely what I was doing,  I began sharing Mr. Pfeiffer's lessons with my two children (now 11 and 9) as soon as they could use language in sentence form and watch television which had advertising.  { Hint. }

You see, I parent in what I like to call a Mindful and Preventative Way.  { Huh? }

You see, I'm lazy and I don't enjoy doing stuff I don't enjoy.  This extends to the mild, infrequent annoyances that come along with the Indescribably Rewarding Joy that is Parenting.  For example,  I do not have the energy or patience to listen to "Mom, can I have... Mom, I want... Mo-o-o-mmmy but it's the coolest toy evuh!!!!" 

So.  I let my kids know ahead of time what is acceptable and what is not (nip it in bud, I suppose you might say).  I have a very keen memory of how it felt to be a kid, which assists me immeasurably in this endeavor.   

Perhaps Alex was two and a half or three when I noticed he was noticing commercials.  

So.  I took the time and explained to him that the All New Re-Designed Most Awesome Toy Ever Now With 30% More Awesome that he saw on tv didn't really look like they showed on tv, nor would it work like they showed on tv, or, if it did, it would work that way maybe four times before it would very likely break.

His fat little chunky cheeks plumped out beneath his wide, bright eyes.  He blinked, and pointed to the tv, 'but it says so.'  "Yes it does. They will say all sorts of things to make you think it's the best thing ever to convince you to buy it.  That is called Marketing."

And over the years as their minds have been able to grasp more and more, I have explained Marketing and Critical Thinking via the

Absolute Gift Of Knowledge
as taught by Mr. Pfeiffer
that was 
"The Ten Most Common Forms of PROPAGANDA."


And,  I swear to you that every day since, I have in some way made use of the tools that man gave us to dissect and analyze claims in every shape, form, and manner.


No slogan, no advertisement, no politician escapes my scrutiny, my query, my critique.  And I've made two more just like me;  my children will not simply accept as fact and swallow biased and crafted falsifications placed before them.  To politics and big business and toy companies everywhere, I say 'Neener neener nee-eee-ee-ner!'

To Mr. Pfeiffer, wherever you are, I say "Thank you, Sir." 
Namaste.

{  Mr. Pfeiffer, as I recall him, was (in my now very clouded memory) a young-ish man - maybe 30, who: was possessing of a light-ish brown-ish coiffe which often times required pushing back to its late '70s feathered wing;  had a bit more to heft than he ought; who bounced and bobbed about in such a way as to seem almost nervous, but was not; had a habit of re- and re-tucking shirt over belly, into pants, under stre-e-e-etched leather belt;   was among the most enthusiastic teachers I've ever had; and, who taught me THE single most important lesson I ever learned in any school setting.  I am unsure of exactly when I came to this conclusion, but it was quite recently.  I had no idea the magnitude and scope of what that bubbly, boisterous man had gifted me.  }

4 comments:

  1. Whoa.... Trying to remember The Most Important lesson brings back a lot of memories, and not all are of Important Lessons learned. I had a Jr. High teacher who assigned us weekend homework to go to a public place and eavesdrop. And there began a lifelong obsession with overhearing conversations in public places (I chose to go down to the old Northwestern train station at the foot of Wisconsin Avenue -- which ended up being another lifelong fascination: 1.) looking for images of the station, 2.) appreciating public architecture, 3.) appreciating public spaces.

    None of which answers your question.

    I can't quantify important but I can describe the lesson I have used the most:

    In the Mid 80's I had a boss who taught me three lessons HE learned, and I have passed it on innumerable times, and used it countless times. The lesson is three simple rules, abiding by which has saved my skin regularly, and forgetting which has cause most of the serious snags in my life:

    1. Be specific
    2. Plan ahead
    3. Don't assume

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent advice. Truly. Should be utilized in every area of life!

      Another business tip I got long ago and use on most any personal phone call - **rrrring* Hello? "Hi, it's Liza - is this a good time ro talk?"

      Delete
  2. Nice post. It is funny, but besides martial arts and learning to apply those principals to everyday things, I think the most useful thing I learned in college cam from Ken Ksobiech's Communications class; The Whorf-Sapir Hypothesis.

    1. Language determines thought
    2. Culture determines context

    It is amazing how applying that hypothesis helps you understand politics, marketing, interpersonal relationships, etc. What people say, why they say it, and what they mean when they say it are all important things. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree on Martial Arts Philosophy
      http://artofmanliness.com/2008/09/14/the-bushido-code-the-eight-virtues-of-the-samurai/

      Studied the Whorf also - the troubles into which non-specific language can lead us!!

      Delete